Follow by Email

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thunderpants Headphones, the journey begins.

Since I lost my job working as an artist in the games industry I've been finding it hard to get back into it. The longer you're out, the harder it is to get back in. Technology moves on, new programs and workflows are introduced and it doesn't take long to fall behind unless you have access to a good bunch of up to date and very expensive programs. I don't. Given that it was looking increasingly unlikely I'd get back into the soul destroying games industry, I decided, somewhat as a measure of desperation, to start doing business in something I enjoy and am reasonably good at. If full employment doesn't come, this will be my full time fall back.

Thankfully I've been tinkering in the worlds of woodworking and audio for many years as fun hobbies and these seemed as good as anything else to make a go of. I love making things, I have a shedload of tools, workspace, wood and all the other stuff necessary to get started. All I needed was the paperwork to make things official. So here I am, with a new fledgling headphone making business, no budget and no real idea how to run a business... what can possibly go wrong! :)

Of course, it all seems so much easier in my head than in reality. Turns out, reality has teeth and likes butts... mine especially. There are so many things you need to do to get anywhere, particularly if you can't afford to advertise and rely on word of mouth as to whether anyone will buy my wares or not. Luckily I'm reasonably well known in the circles I need to be in so although things are progressing slowly, they are progressing. My arts and crafts/audio business is still under two months old right now but it's looking promising and I have lots of inquiries and support within the Headphone community.




I have to admit, these are the things I really like to do with my time. I'm always trying to come up with new ideas.. both daft and sensible. Always looking for how to improve things and how not to drive myself insane in the process. I'm still working on it.






1 comment:

  1. Great post. You know we all think about this very topic. This is great blog on headphones. Buy headphones online from India's leading retail store.

    ReplyDelete