Follow by Email

Friday, September 2, 2011

Shiny!

A lot of people like to have a really shiny surface on their headphone cups because it can look really sexy! Generally this involves a lot of manual labor. Let the finish sit and harden, scuff off any nibs with wire wool, smooth sand with 500 grit and then work your way up the many grits in a micromesh polishing set. From 1500 to 12000 grits and then use a buffing compound to get that nice shine, finished off with Renaissance wax. Basically lots of rubbing and elbow grease. I normally do my buffing by hand using either Behlens buffing compound or Hut ultrashine and a rag. Today I decided to try a car polishing sponge on my mini orbital sander. I like to use my tiny 12v Proxxon orbital because it's very light, plenty powerful and gives amazing control. Mine is highly modified to use Festool RO90 pads and sanding discs. Anyway, I slapped on the Festool polishing spinge and squirted some Hut compound onto it, wazzed up the speed to maximum and gently buffed away. The Proxxon has a very small orbit of 2mm and a max speed of about 5000 opm. Long story short, very nice results indeed. As good or better than my hand buffing and much more control than a buffing wheel for these smaller items. It's nice when I find something that makes my life a little easier while getting nice results.

3 comments:

  1. Your blogs are easily accessible and quite enlightening so keep doing the amazing work guys.wireless headphones for tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found this post. It’s really awesome.A lot of people like to have a really shiny surface on their headphone cups because it can look really sexy.Buy Headphones online and Earphones at Best prices in India only at HeadphoneZone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations guys, quality information you have given!!! http://www.ContinuedInnovation.com/

    ReplyDelete